Chapter 403 - Boiling Fury
Cao Chenghua’s team, who had fallen silent due to Gentle Snow’s display, suddenly smiled upon seeing the names for the third match.
Third match: Fierce Snake vs. War Wolf!
Fierce Snake was a Berserker, while War Wolf was a Shield Warrior. Regarding combat power, Berserkers held the advantage over Shield Warriors. However, Shield Warriors possessed high HP and Defense, as well as plenty of lifesaving skills, making them far more difficult to deal with than other classes.
In general, neither class had an edge over the other. Hence, the players’ techniques would determine the outcome of this third match.
Gentle Snow looked at the Shield Warrior who had remained silent and calm throughout the competition. Despite doing nothing, War Wolf exuded a faint pressure that made one unconsciously distance themselves from him.
No matter how Gentle Snow examined War Wolf, she could never mistake him for an ordinary expert. Even her core team’s MT, Ghost Chop, had admitted that he had only started playing a Shield Warrior because of this man. Furthermore, Cao Chenghua and the rest of his team treated War Wolf with great respect. This showed that War Wolf’s standards were top-tier, and he should not be any weaker than Nimble Snake.
Of the Twelve Apostles, Soaring Snake ranked first, Nimble Snake ranked third, and Fierce Snake ranked ninth. If Fierce Snake fought Nimble Snake, his chances of victory only hovered between 30% and 40%.
If War Wolf was stronger than Nimble Snake and was about equal to Soaring Snake, then Fierce Snake’s chances of victory were only around 20% to 30%.
However, War Wolf did not play a damage-dealing class; his attacks would not be very powerful. On the other hand, a Berserker also wore plate armor. Unlike leather and cloth armor classes, Berserkers would not die so easily. Knowing this, War Wolf was prepared to fight a battle of attrition and slowly exhaust Fierce Snake to death. After all, that was the Shield Warriors’ specialty.
“Fierce Snake, your opponent is not simple. Make sure you don’t cross swords with him for too long and give him any openings,” Gentle Snow whispered a reminder to Fierce Snake. She then took a gold-rimmed skill book from her bag, carefully handing it to Fierce Snake, saying, “Learn this skill. If you use it at a crucial moment, you might defeat him.”
Fierce Snake’s heart pounded the moment he read the introduction of this skill book.
This skill book was an extremely rare burst skill for Berserkers, Boiling Fury. For a short time, the skill increased the player’s damage by 40%, Strength by 15%, and Attack Speed by 30%. Moreover, the less HP the player had, the faster their Attack Speed would become. To a Berserker, this skill book’s value far surpassed that of one or two Dark Gold Weapons.
“Big Sis Snow, Boiling Fury is too valuable. I can’t learn it,” Fierce Snake said, shaking his head.
“War Wolf will not be easy to deal with, and you know this. You don’t want me to lose, right?” Worried that a powerful enemy would appear, Gentle Snow had prepared for this competition. As the Underground Arena prohibited players from using any tools, the only way to raise a player’s combat power was to learn new and powerful skills. Boiling Fury was one such skill Gentle Snow had prepared. She also had another Advanced Skill for Nimble Snake. Unfortunately, that skill book would not come into play during these matches.
Sitting a short distance away, Shi Feng was slightly surprised upon seeing the skill book Gentle Snow passed to Fierce Snake.
Gentle Snow had actually obtained such a super-rare skill book.
Boiling Fury would only drop from High Lords ranked Field Bosses, and its drop-rate was 2%. One needed immense luck in order to obtain it.
“I will not lose.”
Fierce Snake nodded and chose to learn Boiling Fury. He then watched the thin War Wolf walk into the arena, his eyes blazing with fighting spirit.
Originally, he only had a 30% chance of defeating the Shield Warrior. Now that he had obtained Boiling Fury, he had a 70% certainty of coming out victorious.
Following which, Fierce Snake also entered the arena.
“Snow, you’re simply too amazing! I can’t believe you had something so powerful hidden! Fierce Snake will win for sure!” Zhao Yueru hugged Gentle Snow excitedly, her previous depressed mood scattering to the winds.
In response, Gentle Snow lightly tapped Zhao Yueru’s forehead and revealed a faint smile.
Meanwhile, inside the arena, the battle between Fierce Snake and War Wolf had begun.
“I’m interested to see just how powerful you are.”
The moment the battle started, Fierce Snake lifted his silvery-gray battle axe and charged at War Wolf. When his axe descended, even the air roared. However, without even retrieving the shield and saber from his back, War Wolf simply took a step back and allowed the battle axe to brush past his body, slamming into the ground.
War Wolf immediately stomped down on the battle axe, the weapon becoming completely embedded into the ground. He then unsheathed the saber covered in golden magic runes from his back and slashed at the Berserker’s neck, the weapon creating a beautiful arc.
The entire process flowed like water, and everyone who witnessed it was amazed.
Before Fierce Snake could respond, a damage of -536 points appeared above his head.
Although War Wolf’s attack had not dealt a significant amount of damage to Fierce Snake, who had over 3,200 HP, this strike had dealt a heavy blow to the Berserker’s mentality.
Before he could even react, War Wolf’s attack struck him. In Fierce Snake’s memories, this had never happened in any of the PvP battles he had participated in before.
Seeing War Wolf’s saber slashing at him again, Fierce Snake hurriedly used Whirlwind Slash. At this moment, War Wolf lifted his shield, blocking Fierce Snake’s skill and taking a single step back.
Fierce Snake took advantage of his small victory to follow up with a series of attacks, using skill after skill to force War Wolf into a continuous retreat. Yet, to everyone’s surprise, Fierce Snake’s HP continued to decrease despite being on the offensive.
Every time Fierce Snake attacked, War Wolf would effortlessly block it with his shield and counterattack with his saber.
Fierce Snake had no idea what was happening. Although he had tried to dodge and block War Wolf’s counterattacks, the Shield Warrior’s saber would always somehow land a hit.
Even when War Wolf took the initiative to launch an attack, he couldn’t dodge or defend himself.
War Wolf’s saber would always disappear in mid-swing before suddenly appearing elsewhere. By the time War Wolf’s saber reappeared, it was too late for him to react. He could only watch as his HP fell, powerless to do anything about it.
Seeing that he had less than 1,000 HP remaining, Fierce Snake gritted his teeth and activated Boiling Fury.
At this point, if he hesitated to activate Boiling Fury, he would die in a few moments.
However, even after activating Boiling Fury, Fierce Snake was no different than a baby swinging a large axe to War Wolf. This time, the Shield Warrior did not even bother to use his shield and relied on his reflexes to dodge every one of Fierce Snake’s attacks. It looked as if Fierce Snake’s axe actively avoided War Wolf as the weapon brushed past him, never hitting his body.
Fierce Snake nearly crumbled.
This scene dumbfounded both Gentle Snow and Zhao Yueru.
They were familiar with Fierce Snake’s strength. Yet, War Wolf could toy with him so effortlessly. Even Gentle Snow admitted that she was not capable of such a feat.
“Just who is he?” Gentle Snow could not believe her eyes. Cao Chenghua had actually found someone so impressive. Most likely, only Zero Wing’s Guild Leader, One-hit Asura Black Flame, could contend with such a powerful expert.
Inside the arena, War Wolf walked up to Fierce Snake, utterly relaxed. After swinging his saber twice, Fierce Snake’s body fell to the ground, reluctance and frustration filling his face.
Their strengths were on different levels entirely.
“Gentle Snow has definitely lost. The difference between our external player and hers is like heaven and earth.”
“However, this is fate. Not everyone has the chance to connect with such an expert.”
“If Cao Chenghua becomes the Guild Leader, he might be able to invite more experts into our Guild. This would benefit the Guild’s future development.”
The Elders seated in the spectator stands expressed their admiration of War Wolf’s performance. They began to anticipate the future of the Guild. As for Gentle Snow, they no longer expected anything of her.
If you like the novel, my translations, and Goblyn's (and sometimes Mind's and Vampirecat's) edits, please leave a vote for RSSG!
Also, take a look at this post and see how you can contribute to some bonus chapters through voting as well!
We also have a Patreon, so if you would like to get early access to a certain amount of chapters, or wish to contribute to a faster release rate, or both, please consider donating at RSSG Patreon!
Current release rate: 18 chapters/ week